80-m vertical

80-m vertical

Postby zs2cx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 am

Verticals do work....
U might not get that 59+ on local ragchews but u will still be 5/9 and laying down 400 watt will get u many dx.
Verticals for 80m is long, typical 19,8m in lenght at the dx portion, i needed some toy for portable ops while doing vhf competitions,... u know vhf contacts last for 10 minutes , then u have worked them all.
So to enjoy my stay at the /P station, i improvised a one man, 10 min installation vertical for 80m band.
the radials are 20m in lenght 4 or so ought to do it, if u have more even better, jeez i even used 6 off ,10m long radials working zl1iu and Vk, with 400 watts that is a ..FL2100z :) .Oh well what can i say, we need a amp at most dx low bands, that is if u are a "eager beaver" like me :twisted:
yeah the devil in me comes out :lol:

Looks can be deceiving: dont despare build it. If u are restricted to big stuff this toy will bring u many contacts, its a ZS-Special 80.
i have proven this toy to work, even with 100 watts i worked VK6LK from Marina Martinique, and many more, while the antenna was in test phase, the inductor does get steaming hot if u pound it with a FL2100z, well it made the top whip fell over.
so i included the 32mm plastic pipe inside the former and glued it in, then poured some 4cx1500 rf into it, success.
If u intend on using high power cover the inductor with some 2k clear paint , it uses a hardner compound and will withstand very high heat, even on a motorcar engine it last very long. well any 2k paint for that matter, no Glitter metallic though youh :lol:

setting up:
screw antenna together
resonate in 80m band of choice with all radials attatched.(equal numbers of radials, no3's or 5's)
add the toroid u made up, 2mm wire will be qro stuff and 3mm will be croc stuff.
Tap the toroid at beginning and end for the antenna.
Now tap the coax in to get the lowest swr or best imp match.
Once u have it setup it will always be the same, no matter where u stick it up.
Croc :twisted:
have fun ...

now i need to go break something. :lol:
CROC
zs2cx

Re: 80-m vertical

Postby V51Q » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi John,

TNX for the plan.

I was thinking to use my 30m tower as a vertical. 80m and 160m. Just have to figure out a few things first...

73s

Mike
V51Q
Site Admin

Postby zs2cx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 pm

mike
a 30m tower is a big advantage, especially on 160m band.
loading the tower have some obsticalls, though.
i have done some to that effect.

the problem's gonna be that high tower, heehee.
any ways. u would have to raize the gamma wire for a better match.
then also the wire closer and further away from the tower raise and lower impedance.
enjoy.
johan
CROC
zs2cx

Postby zs2cx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Mike
at zs9x we had a sloper dipole at 30m high and end at 6 feet of ground, coax fed, a winner.
johan
CROC
zs2cx

Postby V51Q » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Geee TNX John,

I'll go check it a bit later. After work.

TNX again.
V51Q
Site Admin

Return to "Homebrew Corner"